Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hey Jaclyn: Baking in High Altitudes






Guess what I cooked up yesterday?!?! Actually, I baked it. Them. Whatever!! I baked chocolate chip cookies with the twins… I know, I know, it doesn’t sound like that big of a deal. But it kind of is considering I live in the desert, at a pretty gosh darn high altitude (almost 6000 feet above sea level)! It took me MONTHS to figure out how to adjust my cooking & baking when we moved here – I had no idea that living at a high altitude would make such a difference to so many things – even boiling water takes longer!

Photobucket

Well, I digress, dear cousin. =) As a mom, chocolate chip cookies are a staple in my baking repertoire but when we moved to this teeny little mining town in New Mexico, I really had a hard time making this one work. I finally found the perfect recipe a couple months ago…. Truly, it’s just the recipe off the back of the Nestle Toll House bag of chocolate chips, following the high altitude adjustments. They turn out perfectly every time! I am hoping that your readers that live in remote high altitude areas, like mine, might find this helpful….



Photobucket

 I also found this article handy; it talks about measurement adjustments for high altitudes in general. =)

Baking In High Altitudes:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?id=18476

http://allrecipes.com/howto/high-altitude-cake-baking/




No comments:

Post a Comment