Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thankful Thursday: My Skillet

I am so very thankful for the skillets I have, all varying in size. Think about it - what have you made in a skillet? Eggs? Bacon? Rice? Chicken? Dumplings? Pancakes? I could seriously go on and on and on about the pans that I own. Skillets date back way to the Romans, but one thing I found really interesting is that prior to cooking stoves there was a cast iron skillet called the "spider". It had a handle and three legs so it could stand over the coals of a fire. Neat Right? 

Photobucket

Well, if you read my post from yesterday, you would have saw that I'm on some what of a diet. Ya, you heard me - a diet! I have been using my skillet for pretty much every meal, unless its a salad, and the food has been delicious!

Today I made what I'm going to call the: EVERYTHING BUT THE TORTILLA
It was so yummy that I'm thinking I can even get my hubs to eat this too! But shh, don't tell him there is spinach in it.

Everything But The Tortilla
Ingredients: (this makes enough for 2 meals or 2 people)

1/3 cups frozen spinach
1 can Rotel - with Lime & Cilantro (Rotel can usually be found in your canned vegetable section)
2 green onions
1 chicken breast
Seasonings of choice
Olive Oil (for chicken)
1 can Refried Beans
1/2 can Pinto Beans

Cook chicken in your skillet with a bit of olive oil for about 15 minutes or until cooked throughout. Season with your favorite spices.

Once chicken is cooked, remove from skillet and chop into pieces. Next, add chopped green onions and frozen spinach to pan and saute until a bit browned.


Photobucket

Once browned, add Rotel, 1/2 can pinto beans and chopped chicken and heat until hot.

Photobucket

Prepare your bowl with a bed of refried beans and then cover with chicken salsa mixture. Enjoy and be satisfied.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment