Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Woo Hoo Taco Bar

I knew I wouldn't be able to wait until next week to blog about my first topic. I'm just so excited. So! For my very first WOO-HOO Wednesday I must first start with a little back story.

I've been bouncing ideas off a colleague of mine about my blog and different topics I could talk about. How-To Tuesdays and Thankful Thursdays seemed like a no-brainer, but for some reason we were both stuck on a clever name for Wednesdays! Emails flew back and forth with ideas --- Wonderful Wednesdays, Whimsical Wednesdays, Wednesday's What Not's -- Until WOO HOO Wednesdays came across in my inbox. I about died laughing when I read this....and here is why....

When I was in high school, probably before the time I was driving my dad and I were driving home from the beach area when I saw a taco shop called Woo Hoo Fish Tacos. I am always and have always read out loud restaurant signs of places I think look yummy so of course I read off this title -- knowing my dad loves fish tacos. In response to me calling out the restaurants name, my dad begins to repeat the name and to both our surprise he CAN NOT - FOR THE LIFE OF HIM pronounce Woo Hoo! His voice would begin to crackle when he got to the high point of "hoo"....it was so hilarious!! I honestly could not believe what I was hearing -- or actually what I wasn't hearing!! Of course I was not going to keep this between just the two of us, so when we got home I told my mom and brother to ask dad to say "woo-hoo"; at this point we are all laughing at the fact that he really cannot get the words out.

To this day, we still joke about it....and still....like a trooper....he TRIES to say "Woo-Hoo" and his only victory is making us laugh! Thanks Dad!

So of course when I saw Woo Hoo Wednesday I knew the name had to stick!

This post is for you dad! Woo Hoo Taco Night!


Photobucket
*Photo by: Troeger Photography

We absolutely love taco's in this house. They are so delicious and come in so many different varieties.

Tacos are an excellent choice when you're having guests over too, especially if you don't know everyone's likes and dislikes. By having a TACO BAR everyone can make their own plate exactly to their preference. We always fry corn tortillas to make our shells, but feel free to pick up some hard tacos or just use soft flour and corn tortillas if you're having guests over. Ground beef or chicken are great for starters. If you want, toss a few boneless skinless chicken breasts in your crock pot 4-5 hours before your party and pour a jar of salsa over top. You will have delicious shredded chicken, perfect for your tacos.

Next, arrange your taco bar with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, salsa, guacamole, refried beans and rice.

OK - so this post quickly turned into a cooking and recipe post, I guess I just can't help myself sometimes.

Some clever ideas for your taco bar would be to

Photobucket

Pick up a sombrero from one of your local party stores. They should be less than $5. When you set up your taco bar, place some tupperware or short boxes in the center of your table to use as lifts and then place your tablecloth over top. Next, lay your sombrero on the lifts and  place your taco toppings all around on the table (not on the lifts). Fill the brim of your sombrero with tortilla chips. It's as simple as that, for as little as $5 you can take a plain old taco dinner and turn it in to a Fun Fiesta!

(for future posts I plan to have pictures of my ideas, but I got so excited to start blogging I didn't have a chance)

No comments:

Post a Comment