Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How- To Tuesday: Fry Bacon

Today I wanted to take a moment to talk about bacon.....although I do not eat bacon, I use to, and I remember it being so delicious. I'm kind of a freaky vegetarian....because I use to eat meat on a regular basis, I know the tastes and the enjoyment people get out of sinking their teeth into something so salty and tender as a piece of meat. If you know me, you know that I do not eat most meat because of texture issues that I developed about 8 or so years ago....don't ask me why, it's just what happened. hah! So anyways, when I prepare meat for people or create my recipes, I find enjoyment in watching those eating my meal because I know the pleasure one gets out of eating it.

So as I go over how to fry bacon, trust me, I know what its like to start salivating at just the smell of it!

Photobucket

First of all, I would recommend wearing an apron or definitely having a lid for your skillet while frying bacon; it tends to splatter and doesn't necessarily feel so nice on your skin or your favorite shirt!

You are going to want to use a large skillet and to fry 3 to 4 pieces of bacon at a time. If you can only do 1 or 2 at first, that is fine too.

Photobucket

Place the bacon side by side on your un-greased frying pan.

Turn your stove to medium-high heat and listen for your bacon to begin sizzling. You will know the bacon is ready to be flipped when it doesn't stick to the pan. Simply take a pair of tongs and flip each piece of bacon over. This is where the "pops" may happen---in that case, make sure you use the lid to block the splatters or have your cute little apron on already.

The bacon will slowly stop popping when it's pretty much done, but make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't turn too crispy. Once you feel the bacon is fried to your liking, place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Let cool and enjoy!

If you are planning a large breakfast for company, you can plan to make the bacon the day before. This frees you from having to clean up any grease splatters or spend extra time on cooking. Store the bacon in your refrigerator overnight in a plastic container. The bacon can be easily reheated in the microwave or oven for when guests arrive.

There are several delicious dishes that you can make with bacon...especially in my cookbook. Check out the Snuggle Pigs or Potato Skins...

Photobucket

Photobucket



Enjoy your BACON!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment