Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How-To Tuesday : Hard Boil An Egg

**I must take a moment to first tell you how ecstatic I currently am at this moment...I just woke up about 15 minutes ago to realize that I actually slept the ENTIRE night through....which means my 2 month old slept the entire night through --- waa hoo!!! (ok, maybe I should have blogged about that on "waa-hoo" wednesday, but I just had to let you all know.... we shall see how the rest of the week goes**

Alrighty, How-To Tuesday. I wanted to start off the series with something that I never realized I didn't know how to do until I moved out of my parents house. HOW TO HARD BOIL AN EGG.


Photobucket

I can picture my mom now, peeling the egg shells in our kitchen sink and me just waiting to dive in to a delicious egg salad sandwich, or slice a few for my salad. I guess I never actually asked her the process, just rejoiced over the final product.


Well, I began to crave egg salad sandwich and to my surprise, did not know where to start...I know crazy right? So I wanted to fill you all in so you don't find yourself in my same position.

When hard-boiling an egg, start with a large saucepan and place your desired amount of eggs at the bottom, do not layer your eggs.  Next, run water over the eggs until its about 1/2 an inch above the eggs and place the pan on the stove. Let the water and eggs come to a boil. Once boiling, remove the pan from the burner and place the pan on another section of the stove; cover with the lid. Let the eggs and water sit for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, pour eggs into a strainer and run cold water over the eggs. You can then place the eggs in the refrigerator or you can peel them right then.

To peel the egg, run cold water very low over the egg you want to peel. Tap the egg against the side of your sink or counter to crack the shell. Then remove the shell with your fingers, allowing the cold water to help get rid of some of the shell as well. The egg shell can go down the disposal, or you can throw the shell away.

Another tip for peeling eggs is to fill the pan up with water and peel each egg under the water after you have cracked it either on the counter or side of sink. Having the egg completely submerged makes for a smooth and easy peel. Plus, all of your shells are then left in the pan for an easy clean up.


Do you have any tips on how to peel a hard boiled egg?

No comments:

Post a Comment