Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How-To Tuesday: Blanch Vegetables

Photobucket

I can't exactly remember when I learned to blanch vegetables, nor do I really recall who taught me. I would assume my mother, but then again, it could have been my aunt, my grandma, or even good old Google.

Blanching vegetables is pretty easy once you know what you're doing, and is perfect for delicious asparagus. (Definitely check out my recipe for Garlic Asparagus)

To Blanch Vegetables, start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil, place your strainer in the sink and fill with ice. Prior to placing the vegetables in the water, make sure you have trimmed them to the appropriate size to (a) fit in the pan (b) to serve. Once water is boiling, place vegetables in for about 5-7 minutes (Smaller vegetables take less time). You will want to keep them in until they are just tender. You can test the vegetables tenderness by removing one piece and inserting a fork into the thickest part. If it goes in smoothly, then you are good to go. Next, remove vegetables from stove and using the lid pour out as much water as possible into sink. Then pour vegetables into strainer while having cold water rush over top. You will most likely need to add more ice as it will be melting with the hot vegetables. Remove the vegetables from the ice bath once they are no longer hot. You have now successfully blanched a vegetable! Congrats!

** Photo compliments of Troeger Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment